Pages

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Roast Chicken




This is a very easy recipe for roast chicken. The aroma that wafts through the house as it cooks will make your mouth water. I think the key to this recipe is that once it's in the oven, it should be left alone. When I first started making roast chicken I would open the oven door several times to check on it, baste it, and re-season it. It never turned out right that way. Now that I leave it alone and let it do it's thing, I get a perfectly cooked chicken with a crispy skin...yum.

We paired the chicken with Ochoa Virua Chardonnay. It's a Spanish dry white wine containing 70% viura and 30% chardonnay. It's light and citrusy and went well with roast chicken. I picked it up at Vino 100. If you live in the Newburgh, NY area check it out. The staff, atleast the woman that was there when I went, was approachable and helpful.


Ingredients
Whole chicken
Teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Half a teaspoon melted butter
Salt
Pepper
Dry rosemary
Dry thyme

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine olive oil and butter. Brush the chicken and its cavity with olive oil and butter mixture. Season the outside and cavity of the bird generously with salt. Then repeat with ground black pepper, dry rosemary and thyme.
Place the chicken breast side down in a heavy roasting pan or a cast iron skillet.
Roast chicken in 450 degree oven for 45 minutes to one hour.
Let it rest for five to ten minutes before carving.


I served it with creamy mashed potato with minced chives and sautéed spinach with garlic. By the way, I apologize for the not so attractive picture of the chicken. I forgot to turn it over onto its "pretty" side before I took the picture...oops.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I miss Vino 100 here at the Waterfront...it was so easy to just pop down there for a bottle at the last minute. SO fun to find your blog (via Newburgh Restoration). I love to cook, and try different cuisines, and love Indian food, but have been too intimidated by all the spices to try cooking it. Maybe I'll get there yet! Your pictures are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete