Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

spicy herb turkey burger


Do you ever purchase herbs for a recipe then end up discarding the unused portion because it wilts in the fridge? I can't stand when that happens, perfectly good produce going to waste. Some herbs I do chop up and freeze for later use like cilantro, parsley, scallions, and chives. I also freeze curry leaves when my mom brings them for me picked from her many plants she has at her home. There is one herb that I've never tried freezing because it seems too delicate for the freezer, that's basil.

One way I like to use up extra basil is in my spicy herb turkey burgers. I came up with it one day when I happened to have the following ingredients in my fridge which I wanted to use up, jalapeno, parsley, basil and red bell pepper. I just minced it all up added some minced onion, garlic, salt, pepper, smoked sweet paprika, crushed fennel seeds and tomato paste to the ground turkey meat, formed it into patties and grilled them off. Now I make turkey burger this way all the time. It is so delicious; I especially like the kick from the jalapeno and the slight smokiness from the paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment